Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Double Trouble and a freebie

We are currently working on our doubles facts {if you are Common Coring with me that's 1.OA.6.} Envision does not give enough practice on this so our team built in additional time to practice. Of course that also means I spent ALL DAY coming up with some extra activities.

We will start out making a bridge map as a class to review our facts. Here is the filled in version.
If you are not familiar with thinking maps, R.F. stands for related factor and this sentence frame helps the students understand how to fill it out.

Then partners will cut apart the doubles flashcards and play memory. I just love Halloween clip art! I will print on card stock so the sneaks can't look through it. I will also print on different colors (lime green and purple are my faves this time of year) so that it makes it easy for the kids to pick one of each type of card.


After the game I will ask my students to fill out a bridge map on their own as an assessment as I walk around to see who is still struggling.

I made a recording sheet so I can put these cards into a Math Tub.

We will also make foldables this week. The kids cut the doors apart and write the answer on the inside. In addition to the number they will draw pictures or tally marks for a visual representation.

If you can use any of these activities I have put them in my store for only $2.

I also have a Doubles Go Fish game in my store you can download for FREE.
I love to incorporate music into my teaching so I was excited to find these Harry Kindergarten videos.


Hope you found something useful in this post. If so, I'd love to hear from you.

Separator

11 comments:

  1. I love the foldable, great idea! I have never heard of a bridge map, I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks for teaching me something new!

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE use Envision Math as well There is DEFINITELY not enough time (nor problems) for them to practice. I've been making things to supplement it this year as we didn't even get the work booklets.

    Love your packet and the foldable. Thanks for sharing.

    įƒ¦DeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! We use Envision as well and eghh. We definitely have to supplement as well!

    Ashley
    The Teacher's Treasure Chest

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those Harry Kindergarten videos too! Thanks for the great ideas!
    Erin
    Sample’s Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use thinking maps at my school and I love the idea of using a bridge map for the double's facts. I never thought of that. I'll have to add that in this year. Also love the videos. Thanks!!

    Jordan
    Team V's First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need those Harry Kindergarten videos! I can't wait to share them with my class!!!
    Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love Halloween clip art! :) What cute stuff! We just started subtraction and I think the foldables will work really well! Thanks! Also, I have boo'd you! :) Go to my blog The {mis}adventures of first grade and check it out! :)

    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love all of your doubles ideas - you are right that Envision is very weak in the doubles department.

    Danielle
    Classroom Cupcakes
    http://classroom-cupcakes.blogspot.com

    {By the way I'm having an awesome giveaway this week, check it out!}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the doubles materials. I agree about Envision. We tend to spend several days on each strategy so the kids really learn them.

    ReplyDelete